California: Reminder — On Tuesday, January 12, members of the California Assembly will decide on Assembly Bill 390, the Marijuana Control, Regulation, and Education Act, which seeks to regulate and control the production, distribution, and personal use of marijuana for adults age 21 and older. Tuesday’s vote will mark the first time since 1913, when California became one of the first states in the nation to enact cannabis prohibition, that lawmakers have reassessed this failed policy.
Nevadans for Sensible Marijuana Laws proposes 2012 Ballot Initiative to Tax and Regulate Marijuana
CARSON CITY, NEVADA — Nevadans for Sensible Marijuana Laws will submit an initiative petition to the Secretary of State on Wed, Jan. 6, and discuss the details of a 2012 ballot initiative that would establish a taxed and regulated marijuana market for adults 21 years of age and older in the state of Nevada.
Legalization to me it's no longer a question of if but when and where. The states that I expect to see movement on marijuana reform, legalization or medical marijuana in the next decade.
1. California, legalization initiative, this November 2010.
2. Nevada via the 2012 legalization initiative.
3. Rhode Island, the first state to pass a reasonable medical marijuana bill through the state house. Legalization and decrim is being studied with a formal commission.
4. Oregon, already a leader with medical marijuana and the medical cannabis cafe that recently opened.
5. Tie: New Jersey and New Hampshire, most likely states to follow Rhode Island by passing medical marijuana through the state house.
6. Massachusetts, medical or legalization will pass via ballot initiative. Just a matter of when and who funds it.